Providing Cutting-Edge Technologies to Warfighters
SRA helps speed the delivery of cutting-edge technologies into the hands of front line warfighters. Our Knowledge and Information Management System (KIMS) was created to help the Office of Advanced Systems and Concepts (AS&C) - part of the Department of Defense (DoD) - better manage their vast project portfolio. This secure, web-based application creates a social network between stakeholders so AS&C can seek out the best technical and operational concepts. A single-source project management tool, KIMS prevents duplication of efforts and focuses dollars and resources on high priority projects. KIMS is an important element in the DoD’s Global Information Grid; an IT initiative designed to fully leverage the power of information and collaboration to the forward edge of battle.
The mission of AS&C is to find, demonstrate, transition and transfer the best operational concepts and technology solutions for transformational, joint, and coalition warfare. KIMS helps AS&C achieve mission success by automating the project development process. With KIMS, AS&C can “rack and stack” technology projects and collaborate among stakeholders. Before KIMS, over 200 projects a year were managed manually – an inefficient, time-intensive process that created knowledge gaps. Often when a project manager retired, information about that project wasn’t efficiently retained or transitioned. KIMS changed the dynamics by automating processes and creating a rich information repository for current and future projects.
- No visibility outside entity’s R&D network
- Duplication of R&D efforts
- Collaboration within program only
- Difficult to track, report on R&D
- Improved visibility across Services, COCOMS
- Coordinated R&D efforts and improved spending
- Fosters collaboration via Web-based tool
- Improved portfolio management, tracking, and reporting capabilities
To promote better coordination and management of DoD R&D efforts, KIMS has several features that promote findability of appropriate projects while maintaining strong security and access management given the nature of this R&D. KIMS single sign-on (SSO) limits access to the proprietary, restricted data to help assure those creating JCTDs that information is on a need-to-know and relevant for R&D purposes basis.
- Collaboration between users that allows document sharing and generation of private or public discussions
- Document management and version control to index, track and organize documents and all revisions
- E-mail alerts to inform users of system changes, updates
- Project calendars to help track project events, like workshops, demos, and reviews, with relevant files like agendas and meeting minutes
- Search and reporting capabilities that enable users to find, filter, report, and print R&D data and documentation
KIMS is the result of great project management and a small, yet highly responsive, software development team – both hallmarks of SRA International. It is reflective of our ability to tackle tough challenges and create innovative solutions. We’re proud to say one of KIMS’s best success stories to date is development of the Predator Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Used on the front lines for surveillance, reconnaissance and target acquisition, the Predator project was aided through the use of KIMS. It’s a great example of how KIMS, and SRA, support missions that matter.
Careers | Find a Career
- Software Engineer
- C# / .NET Programmer Analyst
- Requirements Analyst
- Technical Support
- Configuration Management Specialist